Saturday, March 14, 2009

Do I need to pay any taxes in US if I live and work in Russia given that I'm a permanent resident in States


Do I need to pay any taxes in US if I live and work in Russia given that I'm a permanent resident in States?
I've heard that all US permanent residents have to pay taxes on their world-wide earnings, is that true? IRS website says it is. So I must pay Russian federal tax here and then US federal tax from the same earnings?
Immigration - 4 Answers
Random Answers, Critics, Comments, Opinions :
1 :
Yes, you need to file a US federal tax return. But you will be given credit for taxes paid in Russia. More importantly, if you stay out of the US for too long, you will lose your green card. BTW, not paying US taxes is good proof to the immigration officers that you are no longer resident in the US.
2 :
A US permanent resident (green card holders) that start working in another country lose his green card immediately. So when you start working in Russia you will not be a US permanent resident anymore, so no need to pay taxes to the US, obviously.
3 :
Yes, you need to report your earnings elsewhere if you are claiming to be a LPR. Hopefully you already knew this but if you are out of the country for more than 6 months and have not applied for travel document, I-131, you will lose your permanent resident status! For more information on that particular issue and how to get re-entry permit go to: http://www.uscis.gov/portal/site/uscis/menuitem.5af9bb95919f35e66f614176543f6d1a/?vgnextoid=17be96981298d010VgnVCM10000048f3d6a1RCRD&vgnextchannel=828807b03d92b010VgnVCM10000045f3d6a1RCRD
4 :
I've heard that all US permanent residents have to pay taxes on their world-wide earnings, is that true? YES So I must pay Russian federal tax here and then US federal tax from the same earnings? YES Also if you are out of USA for more than 1 years as a green card holder, you will LOSE the green card status but still be required to pay taxes to USA no matter where you live.