Tuesday, September 21, 2010

Question for high maintenance people traveling between US and Russia


Question for high maintenance people traveling between US and Russia?
I have to go to Moscow for a week for a business trip and I need to bring all my beauty supplies with me, including hair straightener and blow dryer. Russia has different voltage though and different plugs. I went to Radio shack and they didn't know which ones I needed, and I have no idea either. Has anyone gotten a plug with a voltage converter from the US that worked in Russia? What is the name of it? Which stores carry it? Thank you! Thank you Janet! Unfortunately the trip didn't go as scheduled, our visas did not arrive on time because the machine at the embassy broke or something. I was supposed to go today but packed for nothing. Might go next week.... I hope I'll keep everyone updated :D
Russia - 7 Answers
Random Answers, Critics, Comments, Opinions :
1 :
GO TO a store that specializes in luggage... they most likely will know and some of them have the pack that has ALL of the types used.
2 :
Check Wikipedia/Russia...I think that will tell, or just search Russia, and see what you can find. Voltage in Europe is 220, but many countries have different plugs. Any travel store should carry them, though. And they should be able to help you pick out the right kind. If worse comes to worst, you should be able to pick something up for $4 - 5 at the local hardware store when you get there, or the hotel may have them...I don't know about Russia, but in Spain, there's like two hardware stores on almost every block!
3 :
The euro plugs usually can work, but sometimes you have to hold them in or tape em in place. the prongs are similar and not very different in size... so it all depends on what you end up plugging into. I used both russian and euro prongs in russia and other former soviet countries.
4 :
I went to Russia and used a 220 converter I bought from RADIO SHACK!!! hello they must be a bunch of idiots in your RS store! They got a kit for like 20 bucks and can be used to convert any device you to have to accept their current. I charged my ipod in like 10 mins! So imagine what it can do for your blow dryer! You should be alright. Try another RS store and they should have the converter kit for you!~ Good luck! Poka!:)
5 :
I got mine at LONGS and it works just fine.
6 :
I'm not sure Devochka, but I just wanted to wish you well. It sounds so exciting to be traveling to Russia for a business trip! Be safe, and make sure you let us all know when you get back, okay?!
7 :
At 99% of Russian houses there is 220 voltage though and European plugs.But in some very old houses you can find Soviet plugs,that are smaller than European plugs.But you won`t find them in the good hotels.