Wednesday, September 21, 2011

just out of curiousity, but life in Russia...


just out of curiousity, but life in Russia...?
So I am going to visit Russia soon...and I was just wondering, how is life in Russia? work, job etc.,? and the mafia? how are the schools there?
Russia - 3 Answers
Random Answers, Critics, Comments, Opinions :
1 :
Russia is wonderful! I went last November. I was in Moscow and St. Petersburg just as a tourist so while I don't know much about the schools or jobs, it was amazing to visit. The older people seem to have a seriousness that I believe communism entrenched over the years, but the young people are very vibrant. I never felt like there was a mob presence, though I was just at the tourist sights. I would advise you to stay out of the way of the police though - they have been known to hassle people. Oh... The language barrier is rough. Learn the Russian alphabet before going - it'll make things a whole lot easier. Also, don't pay attention to maps or guide books that do not list the names of things in the cyrillic russian alphabet - because they won't help once you're there, as those spellings aren't used! Make sure you have your Russian Visa (and register it once you get there) and have a great time!
2 :
So, do you want a native's perspective? If you go to Moscow or St Pete's as a tourist, you would probably like it, provided that you are a city person. The prices might be a little disturbing though. Sadly, oustide of Moscow and St Pete's, Russia is still half a century behind the civilized world. I've never met any mafia people :-) Well-paid jobs can only be found in the capital (average salary in my hometown - 600,000 ppl - is $300 a month). Schools... well, they are worse than they used to be, but still fairly decent. As for higher education, I can only tell about that in Linguistics; we are good at theory and not half as good at practice. Hope this helps.
3 :
I was in Moscow and it ia beautiful place. The women are very nice too. In fact, the ladies are so easy to pick up its pathetic.