Wednesday, August 1, 2012

If you got a cell phone in the US, can you still use it (with the same provider) if you move to Russia


If you got a cell phone in the US, can you still use it (with the same provider) if you move to Russia?
I was wondering... If you have a cell phone, for examle, T-mobile provided. If I moved to Russia, and my parents stayed here and payed the bill, would my service and my phone still work in Russia - even though they don't have that service provider? One of my friends has been talking to a boy over the internet and he claims he's from Russia, and he says he has a US phone from when he used to live there and his parents pay his bill (they live in the US). According to my knowledge, they don't have ANY of the same US Providers over in Russia. I'm thinking he's lying.
Cell Phones & Plans - 2 Answers
Random Answers, Critics, Comments, Opinions :
1 :
Check with the phone carrier.
2 :
You are half correct. In order to use your cell phone that you purchase here in the United States and travel internationally they would have to have the same network. For example if I had A T&T Wireless here in the United States I would have to make sure they have coverage in the country and service that I am traveling to. However there is an alternative that people sometimes do. They buy a unlock GSM phone either from A T&T or T-Mobile and once they go to a international country they just purchase a sim card from any provider in that country and put it into their unlock GSM cell phone that they bought here in the United States and it would work in that country. The reason why it works is the United States cell phone is unlock and uses GSM network which is used in a lot of countries. This is what I think your friend did. He has a unlock GSM phone and goes to Russia and purchases a sim card and he uses whatever provider that services Russia with that sim card.