Tuesday, August 14, 2012

Where to find info on current Russia


Where to find info on current Russia?
I'm working on a project on the current economic/governmental situation of Russia. I was looking for any sources that may be helpful in finding real GDP, CPI, or any other economic indicators. Second, I was looking for any sites to show a basic layout of how the government works in both job description and a spread of the relationships between the government groups. Most of this would be helpful, but the most help I could ask for is a link or name to a show on Russia as a country, preferably from the 1980s to the present. Something to tell the story of Russia and its people. The History Channel has probably done some documentaries on the subject. This does not need to be purely factual in nature, but something to give me a leg up on how Russia works and where I need to start looking. I donĂ¢€™t speak Russian which seems to be what most of the sites are written in, so if the sites suggested could be in English, I would be grateful. So if I could get the name of any of these sources or shows, it would be a tremendous help on starting this project.
Government - 4 Answers
Random Answers, Critics, Comments, Opinions :
1 :
The best link I can give you that will answer most if not all your questions is the CIA World Factbook page for Russia Here is the link: (it is 100% reliable and is a very well known source) I have used it for global assignments in the past: https://www.cia.gov/library/publications/the-world-factbook/geos/rs.html Hope that helps! :) Amy
2 :
The CIA world factbook (google it and the website will pop up, i don't know the address off the top of my head). This document has economic and governmental information listed for every country in the world, and is a reliable source. It is very basic info, and won't give you much cultural insight. But its a decent starting point. Also, keep in mind that Russia through the 1980s was the USSR, and the government and to some extent, culture have changed since the collapse of the Soviet Union in 1991. Another thing you could look up is an article that Time magazine ran in the early 90's about the McDonalds they opened in Moscow, some of the quotes in there can give a little insight into the post-communism mentality in the country. I know it sounds random...but i found it interesting.
3 :
Moscow
4 :
There is a freeviw channel called Russia Today